Over the past couple of years I have suspected that I have developed some food intolerance’s and with a life long struggle of yo-yo dieting, binge eating and drinking, drug addiction and not exercising consistently one would also soon discover that the combination of all these things would lead into some digestive issues as well.
In the summer of 2010 is when I decided to get serious about my health and I really started noticing how food was affecting my body, I don’t know why I never noticed it before, weird! This was my first attempt at trying Paleo. I was very determined to get my health in order and I never cheated. Well, a few times I did. My main thinking was to lose weight and look good, but I never focused on really feeling better mentally and physically a mistake I feel that I made on this journey.
So for 43 days I ate and lived Paleo.
No sugar from any source, grains, dairy, processed foods, cereals, breads etc. On the rare occasion I did have some berries and a little dark chocolate. Hey, sometimes we just need some dark chocolate!!!
You know what I felt great, I lost 13 lbs and a few inches. My attitude was better, my skin looked better, and I had more energy. So what happened from that summer to now? Well a lot of stressful situations, depression, and a lot of not knowing what I was doing with my life and I fell right back into struggling with my food choices and not exercising. Staying consistent is key and I know that but I just wasn’t doing it.
The result of this destructive behavior over the years has really done a number on my body, pain in my legs and feet along with swelling, I am bloated all the time, my skin has not been clear, joint pain, and most important I just feel horrible. I lack energy, motivation, confidence, my attitude stinks and I am depressed all the time.
The excuses stop NOW!! I am tired of hearing the same old story and excuses play over and over in my head all the time. I am tired of feeling sorry for myself. I absolutely do not like looking in the mirror. It’s time to change my thinking and stop believing all these negative thoughts that I keep telling myself. I will no longer use my body as a garbage can!! It’s crazy, on a recent emergency trip back home I had some wonderful and really meaningful conversations with my sister in law and my brother and at times those conversations where really hitting me right in my heart like they were meant for me to hear. Funny how God speaks to us sometimes.
I know what I need to do, the hard part is doing it. I wish there was a reset button that we could push and all of our health issues would disappear but then again that would be the easy way out and there is no fun in that. Learning along the way what works and doesn’t work is all part of the journey and makes us stronger in the end. I have set goals in the past and I think sometimes they are a bit too much, so I am just going to keep them simple and basic for now. Simple whole foods are what I will be eating along with yummy green vegetable juices, healthy fats and some probiotics and digestive enzymes.
Also getting exercise in at least 4 days a week, and running a 5k this weekend.
My nutrition and staying active are number one on my list and I am choosing to focus on getting healthy and healing my body instead of focusing on the weight loss, I know that will come with it so that will just be a bonus. Right now at this moment I would say I eat healthy 65% of the time and the other 35% of the time is eating too many processed, quick and convenient foods. I don’t want to start off with eliminating too many foods but in order to see what is causing certain things I will start with a few. This first week will be gluten, processed foods and grains. I know that seems like a lot of things but I know first handed that these are all triggers for me.
I will keep you all updated throughout the weeks of how it is going and what I have been eating. One of my favorite food choices in the fall and winter months are soups, here is one of my favorites recipes that I will be making. Enjoy!!
Operation Get Healthy is in full effect!!!